Service hours can be person to person service for people in our community who are in ‘need’ i.e., the poor, hungry, homeless, sick, injured, elderly and disabled. Other types of service include fundraisers, walk-a-thons, parish and community service projects, and hours completed for BMCHS service clubs. Service must be done through a pre-approved not-for-profit service agency, hospital, nursing home, church, or school.
The service requirement at BMCHS must be completed between June 1 and May 31 of each academic year. The service outreach recommendation for each year would total:
- 25 hours – freshmen
- 50 hours – sophomores
- 75 hours – juniors
- 100 hours – seniors
Students must complete at least ½ of their required hours for the year before December 1st and the rest before May 1st of each year. Documentation of the hours completed are to be submitted to the Campus Ministry Office via the BMCHS IT Portal.
The following do not meet Service Outreach requirements:
- Family-related activities and services.
- Services performed for for-profit organizations (including doctors, vet’s offices and day care centers)
- Services done for individuals (ie. Babysitting, private business)
- Services done as part of work-study program, or designated as work-study tasks (cleaning gym, school facility, locker rooms, athletic fields, etc.)
- Service done during Sunday Mass (altar server, lector, Eucharistic minister, musician, usher, etc.)
- Service mandated by the court
Hours must be documented on the BMCHS Volunteer Service Form. An original signature from the agency representative who supervised the hours is required.